About the Photographer:
Steven D. Martin received his B.S. in Business Administration in 1986 only after pursuing studies in music performance and photography first. He received an M.Div degree from the Candler School of Theology in 1989 and served for fifteen years as a pastor in churches throughout East Tennessee. In 2006 he left pastoral ministry to work in film and in human rights advocacy, a journey that has taken him all over the world to work, observe, and learn from the most difficult conflicts of our age.
Steve has produced and directed many documentary films for PBS stations. His first film, "Muslims in Appalachia," was released to PBS stations just prior to the 9/11 attacks, and being broadcast by 45 stations to over 70 million households in the months that followed, became a significant part of the national discussion about Islam in America. In 2005 he began work on three films on the role of the church in the Holocaust: "Theologians Under Hitler," "God With Us," and "Elisabeth of Berlin." These films have been shown on PBS stations, in film festivals, and in screenings across the United States and Europe.
As motion picture technology shifted toward smaller cameras normally used for still photographs, Steve quietly began reconnecting to his college training a few years ago, deepening his knowledge and experience with documentary photography, art photography, landscapes, architecture, and portraits. With such a vast and celebrated experience he is now proud to offer his services to you as the photographer for your portrait or event. You will be hard pressed to find another photographer in this region with his skill, expertise, and heart: things that make each photograph uniquely beautiful and powerful.
- Muslims in Appalachia (2001)
- Islam in America After September 11 (2002)
- Theologians Under Hitler (2005)
- God With Us (2007)
- Elisabeth of Berlin (2008)
- Various projects for the National Religious Campaign Against Torture (2008-present)
- Islam in America: The Christian Truth (2012)
- dozens of short videos for the human rights and religious community
- "God With Us" selected for the European International Film Festival (2007-8)
- Screening of "Theologians Under Hitler" at the US Capital to various members of Congress including Sen. Henry Waxman, Sen. Chris Dodd, and Rep. James Cliburn (2005)
- "Theologians Under Hitler" and other films in the series selected for permanent display at Yad Vashem, the Jerusalem Museum of the Holocaust
- "Elisabeth of Berlin" premiered in the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in Berlin (2008) and mentioned in a speech by German Chancellor Angela Merkel one week later
- Member of the Board of Directors of the National Religious Campaign Against Torture
- President of the Oak Ridge Civic Ballet Association
- Two meetings in the White House regarding ending US-sponsored torture (2010) and global poverty (2011).
- Selected as photographer for Knoxville Fashion Week (2012)